Possession of Exotic Animals
AN ORDINANCE PROHIBITING THE KEEPING, MAINTENANCE, CONTROL, OR POSSESSION OF EXOTIC ANIMALS WITHIN THE CITY OF BURDETT, KANSAS;
AUTHORIZING REMOVAL, CONFINEMENT AND DESTRUCTION OF EXOTIC ANIMALS; AND PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION.
BE IT ORDERED BY THE GOVERNING BODY OF THE CITY OF BURDETT, KANSAS:
Section 1. Exotic Animals.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to keep, maintain or have in his or her possession or under his or her control within the City any poisonous reptile or any other dangerous wild animal or reptile, any vicious or dangerous animal or any other animal or reptile of wild, vicious or dangerous propensities.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, maintain or have in his or her possession or under his or her control within the City any of the following animals:
(1) All poisonous animals including rear-fang
(2) Apes: Chimpanzees; gibbons; gorillas, orangutans; and siamangs.
(10) Constrictor snakes
(12) Deer; includes all members of the deer family, for example, white-tail deer, elk, antelope and moose.
(14) Game cocks and other fighting birds
(23) Pumas; also known as cougars, mountain lions and panthers
(c) The prohibitions of this section shall not apply to bona fide pet shops, zoos, circuses, carnivals, educational institutions, or medical institutions, if:
(1) Their location conforms to the provisions of the zoning ordinance of the City.
(2) All animals and animal quarters are kept in a clean and sanitary condition and so maintained as to eliminate objectionable odors.
(3) Animals are maintained in quarters so constructed as to prevent their escape.
(d) The Municipal Judge shall have the authority to order any such animal removed from the City by the person in violation of the ordinance and if not so removed order it confined or destroyed.
Section 2 Failure to Comply
Failure to comply with the requirements and conditions set-forth in this ordinance shall be considered a violation subject to seizure, confinement, removal or destruction of the exotic animal or animals.
Section 3 Penalty
Any person violating or permitting the violation of any provision or this ordinance shall upon conviction in the Municipal Court be fined a sum not less than $100.00 no more than $500.00. Each day that a violation of this ordinance continues shall be deemed a separate offense. In addition to the foregoing penalties, any person who violates the ordinance shall pay all expenses including removal, handling, shelter, food and care necessitated by enforcement of this ordinance.
Section 4 Validity
Should any section, subsection, or paragraph, clause, or provision of this ordinance be declared by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or unconstitutional, the same shall not affect the validity of the remaining parts of this ordinance.
Section 5 Effective Date
This ordinance shall take effect upon adoption and publication once in the official paper of the City.
Passed, approved and adopted this 9th day of April 2013.
Leon Jennings, Mayor